Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hey look, it's Library Larry

Today I saw a young lady, now 12, at Cornerstone Youth Centre who I have known since she and my son were in kindergarten together. I was reminded she used to call me "Library Larry", so I thought I should share the story.

When my boy was young, we decided as a family I would be stay at home dad. So when he started going to preschool and kindergarten, I was the happy helper and volunteer parent. Mrs. Fache, his kindergarten teacher sold me on a regular (2 or 3?) day a week job as library helper. I said "sure, sounds like fun". Fun until my first day when Mrs. Fache exuberantly yells out in her best Romper Room, kindergarten teacher voice, "Hey look it's the Library Fairy" as she smiled and looked my way. My chin must have dropped to the ground as she had not previously shared the title with me.

I said, "that's the last day you'll call me that and I am not buying the t shirt" with a smile and tongue in cheek, but I did have some male friends I did not want knowing about this. I guess they know now? So I went about my business helping the kids with their library cards and checking out books. half an hour later I was back home figuring out how I deal with this damage to my male pride.

The poet in me, came up quickly with "Library Larry". That's the winner! The next day I told her I would really be more comfortable with that. Word did get around to former Library fairies and I was offered their wings and wands. It really was a fun job and fun conversations with people when I told them of the bullet I had dodged. So today, a 12 year old still calls me Library Larry and my son still enjoys reminding me from time to time with pride and a smile. After Dad, Library Larry has been one of the most important titles I've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment