Monday, February 4, 2013

Walking the Walk.

Walking the Walk.

I recall shortly after Mayor Nenshi was elected, I attended a talk by him at the Unitarian Church and he said during that talk what keeps him up at night is “how to keep citizens engaged in their city” . When I had an opportunity to ask a question I encouraged him by saying “if you want to keep citizens engaged, continue to walk the walk”

So when I say, “Putting the Public in Public Education” there is a real life opportunity to walk the walk everyday of the campaign and into elected office. This first week I had the opportunity to speak to a wonderful couple who see their community school, the one that one of them attended as a child, having struggles. Their small children attend a private school, but this couple are still looking for a way to help and impact their community public school and Alma mater.

I was asked if I thought they could have an impact and I told them “of course you can!” I wanted to share this story as I think their feelings may not be unique? Do you feel you can have a positive impact on your neighborhood public school? Parents and community members at large can have an outstanding impact on their schools. Did you know that any member of the community, not just parents can attend school council meetings?

But how does one help? There is the complex question. Each school is a unique place, with it's own individual character, parents, students, teachers and administration. Having experienced 3 different principals in my son's elementary years, I can tell you first hand that the Principal has the greatest impact of all the factors. In my experience 3 different principals, felt like 3 different schools. So they are going to meet with the principal to discuss the issues and challenges in hopes of finding an opportunity to help.

I hope to update you with some positive results and details as I receive updates. I am fairly certain that the principal will be open and this couple will find that opportunity to help make the school a better place for student learning and success.

If you have a story or would like to impact your community school in Wards 5 and 10, I'd love to hear from you larry4trustee@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment